Instructions for UQ CMS templates
Which template should I use?
There are two colour versions and three footer versions of the html newsletter template available. User guidelines are provided below:
- Purple is the default colour option and is intended for emails to all audiences.
- Black is intended for emails of a more formal nature or to corporate partners.
- The template featuring the 'Questions?' footer is intended for student recruitment related emails to future students.
How do I set up the template in UQ CMS?
Setting up a template in UQ CMS requires WebServices involvement. Send an email request to email@example.com asking for the template to be added to your site. Please specify which colour template you intend to use.
Once the template has been added to your site you will be able to edit the content yourself through the CMS and send it out using the instructions below.
A checklist of editable sections to personalise for your audience
- Email title and org unit name in header
- Date of publication at the top
- Quicklinks in the footer
- Related News links in the footer
- Social media links in footer
- Authorised by name in the footer
- Maintained by email in the footer
- Unsubscribe email in the footer
How do I edit the content?
WebServices will setup the template on your site with a default template page you can copy and edit for each edition of your eNewsletter. You can copy the default page and rename the copy, then edit the content of the email as you would any other page.
IMPORTANT: Because emails are very susceptible to displaying differently in different email clients it is vital that you DO NOT copy text or images in from another program such as MS Word. All content MUST be typed in directly, and images added through the CMS.
Using and linking to images
- You must resize images to their correct dimensions before uploading them to the website and adding to your email.
- Use Photoshop or similar image editing software to do this.
- Use the template image reference sizes.
- Once resized, upload your images using the File Manager in the CMS. Create a special folder, for example /images/newsletter/issue02/directors-image.jpg for email images to clearly separate them from other images on your website.
- When adding images to your email you MUST add the full url address linking to the image hosted on your website. http://www.uq.edu.au/yoursite/email/imagename.jpg This is so the images will load in the recipient's email client (Outlook, gmail, Hotmail) and reduce the changes of being blocked by spam filters.
How do I send my email?
IMPORTANT: Always test the email by sending it to yourself and a colleague before you send. Check that it looks right and all the links work.
Mozilla Thunderbird to send your email
- You can download Mozilla Thunderbird from: http://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/
- If you are not using Thunderbird please contact WebServices for assistance.
- Install Thunderbird and run the program. To setup your email account in Thuderbird go to File > New > Existing Mail Account
- Enter your UQ email details and click continue. Once it finds the server, click Create Account. You can now use Thunderbird to send and receive email.
- Once your email is ready to send, open it in a browser window (preferably Firefox or Chrome). The email is a page on your site so open your site and navigate to the url for the email.
- Right click somewhere on an empty part the page and select 'View Source'. This will bring up a window that shows you the HTML code for that email.
Select all of the code and Copy it.
- Now open Thunderbird and create a new email. Click into the email body area and then go to the Insert menu at the top and select 'HTML..'. Paste the source code of the email into this window and click Insert.
- Set your recipient list and subject line then click send.
Using Vision6 to send your email
- Outlook cannot send correctly tagged and formatted HTML emails in a format that will display consistently. You should use Mozilla Thunderbird instead for sending HTML emails. However, you can use Outlook to just send a link to your newsletter if it is on a website.